Return to our main page

Go to our Google Group

Friday, May 18, 2007

What is going on with BitFox

For those that want to know what is going on with BitFox, and when a release will be out.

I am only new to developing. I am a Year 10 student in Australia learning Pyton (at school) and C++ (self taught) etc, and I have done programming a lot of my life, as my dad is a programmer himself.

I wanted to start working on Firefox extensions. So I thought I would make something that I have wanted for a long time. A bittorrent client within FireFox.

I didn't really know how I would do it, but from what I had read, it probably was possible.

So I went to Google Code and made a project for that, and called it BitFox. I didn't know how long it would take. The idea behind it was that I could work on it over a long period of time. I didn't even know if it would work. The reason I made the Google Code page was to see if there is any one else interested in helping with the project on a programming side, and to be able to track all the changes myself.

I have to say, I didn't expect this article to appear on Digg, among other websites. This sort of motivated me to rush the project, and since I didn't know what I was doing, there was no way I was going to get anywhere.

This project really isn't going to get anywhere in the near future, but I will slowly work on it. If anyone else is interested in joining, it will get this done faster, but I do hope to get it done, but I can't really give a time of when it will be done.

The bottom line is: I don't want to be known as a developer who starts projects and doesn't finish them. I don't want a new prject I have started going around the web and one or two people saying "That is by JoshHendo that is never going to be finished.". BitFox is currently a bit to advance for me, and I do want to finish it as much as everyone else wants me to finish it.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

just so you know, you're doing a fantastic job and it is a big project you're working on so just keep up the good work. I just wanted to say that I hope that one day your project will become reality!
Best Regards,
Clem from France!

Kryten42 said...

Hi Josh,

Yes... you have taken on a difficult project for your first public project. :) Personally, I think that's a good thing. You will learn a lot! More than you can learn from books or school. ;) It's handy that your father is a developer too. Don't be afraid to ask for advice or help. ;)

I wish I could help, but I am just insanely busy right now. If I can help or know anyone who can, I'll let you know.

Good luck and thanks from a fellow Aussie!

Paul.

Unknown said...

Hey there.. It's Tom here.. one of the developers of FoxTorrent.

Guess what, I'm from Australia too, but I'm now I'm living in the states.

Keep going.. we'd love a bit of competition!

Tom.

Jonathan Biddle said...

wow - impressive!