Return to our main page

Go to our Google Group

Monday, February 26, 2007

Clear up a few of the comments on Digg

I just want to clear up some of the comments posted on the recent Digg article about BitFox.

i may potentially use this only for smaller torrents, i'll still leave the larger torrents to utorrent
Yep, that is exactly what I was thinking when I decided to make it. There was one torrent that I got, that wasn't that big (50meg), and it downloaded at about full speed, and I thought that it would be cool if it was treated just like a normal download.

Yes. That's generally the way it works anyway. Most users stop seeding after they've completed a torrent. Some of us won't. It's only a tool. A good one potentially.
The idea is that users will continue to seed after the torrent has finished downloading while FF is still running, but like any good program/extension, they will be notified and have the option to turn it off (I don't like to hard code options in).

Am I the only one who thinks this is a bad idea? I know that I don't _always_ have firefox running. I restart it from time to time, or simple close it if I'm not using it.

What we need is a bittorrent client that runs as a service, and communicates with a seperate frontend or web UI...Maybe I should start coding one....
For large, slow torrents, I agree with you. As I mentioned above, I made it for small torrents that are similar sizes to things you would generally download in FF (I would never download a large file in FF). I will continue to use another BitTorrent client even after BitFox has a working copy.

I don't get it why would anyone want to try and do this? uTorrent is 170KB does every single feature a torrent should do and doesn't require installation! Long Live uTorrent!
A challenge. I really don't care if no one uses it actually (I don't know how many people actually would), I just want to try and do this.

2 comments:

Seventoes said...

about the uTorrent post, what about the people (ME) who use OSX, or linux. i dont want to start up parallels or boot into bootcamp just to download a torrent, it would be cool if it was integrated with firefox. I wish there was a mac uTorrent but, eh..

Josh said...

Well, you could easily replace utorrent with your favourite bittorrent client, but BitFox will allow you to download torrents, the only thing is (that I have no control over) you will need to have FF open while downloading the torrent, so you could use it for large torrents.